Face it, we are an aging society. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2050, the population aged 65 and over is projected to be 83.7 million, almost double its estimated current population of 43.1 million and the population age 85 and over is expected to grow from its current estimated figure of 5.5 million to 19 million by 2050. And we are also living a lot longer, though not necessarily healthier. Unlike other characteristics that separate us – like race, religion or nationality – “age” is common to us all – that's right, we will all eventually become old (although interestingly no one sees themselves as old!).
Seniors, of course, have issues that are unique to them including asset preservation in case they need long term care, Medicaid planning, assistance managing their affairs, and protecting them from the undue influence of others and self-neglect. And many of the laws relating to government benefits including Medicaid, for instance, have “look back” requirements extending as far back as five years so you really need to plan well in advance if your intent is to preserve these benefits. We have been handling elder law issues for over 30 years and have been involved in many of these types of cases. So if you are caring for an older adult or simply are concerned about their welfare – call us. . . we can help.
Try Our SMART LAW Platform
If you have a need for basic legal services like wills, or a Special Needs Trust or guardianship for a child turning 18, we now offer these services at an affordable price via our Smart Law on line platform.
Here is the pricing (Note, pricing is based on the use of our online services. In-person service is available at different rates):
1. Estate Planning:
- Last Will and Testament: Single Person - $195 / Married Couple - $295
- Power of Attorney: Single Person - $95 / Married Couple - $175
- Living Will (Advance Medical Directive): Single Person - $95 / Married Couple - $175
- Complete Estate Plan (all 3 documents): Single Person - $380 / Married Couple - $495
2. Miller Trust (sometimes called a Qualified Income Trust) - part of Medicaid applications: $550 (starting at)
3. Special Needs Trust or Supplemental Benefits Trust: $850 (starting at)
4. Guardianship (for a person turning 18 or an older adult)
- Limited Representation: $750 (limited to preparing necessary court documents and letters- please call our office for details
- Full Representation: $2,500 (if uncontested; if contested, fee will be converted to hourly)
How SMART LAW Works
The process is very simple. Just click onto our "Smart Law" seal below and follow the instructions on that page. You will be asked to fill out a simple contact form requesting basic information. There will also be a drop-down menu from which you can select the type of service you need. Once we receive your request, we will send you via e-mail the necessary link to begin the process.
It's simple, fast and will save you a ton of money!