Here's an astounding statistic: better than 95% of all lawsuits settle before they go to trial. Most people find that hard to believe, but it is true. If this is true and it is likely your case will settle without a trial, wouldn't it make sense to try and arrive at a settlement sooner than later? In other words, why spend all the time and money litigating an issue with multiple lawyers all charging hundreds of dollars an hour when ultimately you will be asked to compromise and agree on a settlement that may not be exactly what you want but is satisfactory to all parties.
Mediation is a form of dispute resolution that utilizes a neutral third party to assist the parties in arriving at a settlement. You are not required to have a lawyer in order to use mediation and the process is voluntary and non-binding, unless you are successful in reaching a settlement at which point a formal written agreement can be drawn up. Mediation can be used in all civil cases, though it is especially useful in family related cases such as divorce, estate disputes and conflict over how best to care for an elderly or disabled family member where you have on-going familial relationships and a compelling need to keep matters private.
So if you find yourself in a situation where a conflict needs to be resolved, whether you are already in litigation or not, call us to discuss whether mediation may be an option for you. You may end up saving yourself a good deal of money, not to mention the peace of mind you will have knowing your matter is resolved and you can move on with your life.
Try Our Smart Law Platform
If you have a need for basic legal services like wills, or a Special Needs Trust or guardianship for a child turning 18, we now offer these services at an affordable price via our Smart Law platform.
Here is the pricing (Note, pricing is based on the use of our online services. In-person service is available at different rates):
1. Estate Planning:
- Last Will and Testament: Single Person - $375 / Married Couple - $575
- Power of Attorney: Single Person - $175 / Married Couple - $275
- Living Will (Advance Medical Directive): Single Person - $175 / Married Couple - $275
- Complete Estate Plan (all 3 documents): Single Person - $475 / Married Couple - $675
2. Miller Trust (sometimes called a Qualified Income Trust) - part of Medicaid applications: $550 (starting at)
3. Special Needs Trust or Supplemental Benefits Trust: $850 (starting at)
4. Guardianship (for a person turning 18 or an older adult)
- Limited Representation: $875 plus court fees and other expenses (limited to preparing necessary court documents and letters- please call our office for details)
- Full Representation: $2,500 plus court fees and other expenses (if uncontested; if contested, fee will be converted to hourly)
How Smart Law Works
The process is very simple. Just click onto our "Smart Law" seal below and follow the instructions on that page. You will be asked to fill out a simple contact form requesting basic information. There will also be a drop-down menu from which you can select the type of service you need. Once we receive your request, we will send you via e-mail the necessary link to begin the process.
It's simple, fast and will save you a ton of money!