There is a special place in heaven for people who care for a child with special needs! It is not an easy job and much of the work goes unnoticed and seemingly unappreciated by outsiders looking in. Yet there is something special and rewarding about helping someone in need who relies on you and your compassion to get them through the day. Part of the caregiver's responsibility, of course, is to make sure their child receives all the government benefits to which their child is entitled, including SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and Medicaid.
These are essential benefits you do not want to jeopardize by failing to plan properly. Fortunately the law allows you to set up what is known as a Special Needs Trust that allows your child to receive the benefit of having access to assets while preserving crucial “means tested” government benefits, like SSI and Medicaid. This is a dynamic area of law and many government benefits that were once available to all disabled individuals regardless of assets or income are now becoming “means tested” which makes this type of trust much more important to have in place.
For more than 30 years, we have been working with special needs children and their families helping them maximize and preserve their entitlement to government benefits. So if you are caring for a child with special needs and considering setting up a special needs trust – call us… we can help. And by the way, thank you for all you do!
Note: If you are planning for someone with a disability and require a Special Needs Trust, you can have this done at your convenience and at a very reasonable fixed fee through our Smart Law platform. We would encourage you to take a look. If, on the other hand, your estate plan is more complex and involves more than just setting up a Special Needs Trust, we can certainly help and in most cases quote you a fixed fee as well. Just call our office. Please keep in mind that if you try our Smart Law platform and you find that will not work for you, don't worry, any money you paid will be credited to you if you elect to retain us in the “traditional” manner. So don't put off planning for someone with special needs – we make it pretty painless!
Try Our Smart Law Platform
If you have a need for basic legal services like wills, or a Special Needs Trust or guardianship for a child turning 18, we now offer these services at an affordable price via our Smart Law platform.
Here is the pricing (Note, pricing is based on the use of our online services. In-person service is available at different rates):
1. Estate Planning:
- Last Will and Testament: Single Person - $195 / Married Couple - $295
- Power of Attorney: Single Person - $95 / Married Couple - $175
- Living Will (Advance Medical Directive): Single Person - $95 / Married Couple - $175
- Complete Estate Plan (all 3 documents): Single Person - $380 / Married Couple - $495
2. Miller Trust (sometimes called a Qualified Income Trust) - part of Medicaid applications: $550 (starting at)
3. Special Needs Trust or Supplemental Benefits Trust: $850 (starting at)
4. Guardianship (for a person turning 18 or an older adult)
- Limited Representation: $750 (limited to preparing necessary court documents and letters- please call our office for details
- Full Representation: $2,500 (if uncontested; if contested, fee will be converted to hourly)
How Smart Law Works
The process is very simple. Just click onto our "Smart Law" seal below and follow the instructions on that page. You will be asked to fill out a simple contact form requesting basic information. There will also be a drop-down menu from which you can select the type of service you need. Once we receive your request, we will send you via e-mail the necessary link to begin the process.
It's simple, fast and will save you a ton of money!